Friday, February 20, 2009

Not the best day, but . . . .

I could tell it wasn't going to be the best day . . . .
  • When I didn't get up when Karl left for work, I fell asleep. When I woke up, it was 7:07 a.m. I drop Willie off for school at 7:20 a.m. and he was sleeping soundly. We work well under pressure, he "kicked it in gear", and I delivered him to school at 7:26 a.m.
  • I got showered and ready to leave the house in record time, so I decided to quickly check my e-mail knowing I would be in meetings all day. I read only one e-mail. It was from a pretty reliable source that the wife of my good friend and mentor, Norm, had passed away. I was shocked. Norm and I are pretty close professionally, and I couldn't believe he wouldn't call me with the news. I scrambled to find his phone number and called him from my car. I began the conversation with, "I've heard some sad news . . ." Norm then told me how his wife had just been diagnosed with a rare cancer and that doctors give her 3-6 months to live (she had not passed away).
  • My meeting was at the Radisson Hotel downtown. I arrived to find the hotel parking lot full. There was a sign in the driveway directing guests to the lot across the street. I made my way there only to be told by the parking attendant that the lot was reserved for monthly permits. So, by this time I was running very late, I took the first meter space I could find. When I got out of my car to put money in the meter, I was greeted by a not so friendly meter person (meter maid) who demanded that I show her my vehicle registration. (She parked her car in the street parallel to my car.) She said that the sticker on my license plate had expired. I assured her that my registration is always due in February and that it had been mailed, and I was just waiting for the new sticker. I found my registration, and sure enough it indicated that the expiration was 2/2009. She rudely told me that the sticker on my car said 1/2009. She called on her phone to check out my registration. The response on the other end was that my car was good through 2/2010. She rudely "back-peddled" making threats to me that I could get pulled over and ticketed for not having the right sticker on my license plate and blah, blah, blah. Arrgggg! Once she left, I put money in the meter and headed to my meeting inside the hotel. I planned to leave at the first break to move to a pay lot nearby.
  • At the break, I drove around the block to a pay lot. I paid my fee and parked my car. As I headed around the block back to the Radisson, I pushed the key-lock button to lock my car and by doing so, I set off the alarm of the car parked next to me. I just kept walking. I heard the alarm beeping all the way to the hotel.
  • The meeting ended at 3:00 p.m. I hadn't had a Coke all day, so I headed to the closest McDonalds. I was waiting in the drive-thru line when a homeless looking kid walked up to my car window. He motioned for me to roll down my window. I responded that I was not interested in talking to him. He yelled at me and flipped me off. I drove ahead, got my Coke, and watched as he approached other cars.
  • After a few things to finish at my office, I headed for home via Office Depot and Winder Farms Store to get a few last minute things for the big Women's Conference tomorrow. Once home, I packed up my car and headed to the Stake Center. The building was an absolute mess! I was the first one of the set-up group to arrive and I spent more than an hour just cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, before we could even begin to set up.
  • Once finished at the church, I headed to the grocery store for a few more things I needed to get for the Women's Conference.

What a day! It wasn't the best day, but it was okay -- I think it was just Friday the 13th a week late. Whew!

2 comments:

Bing Math said...

Sorry mom.

fivewoods said...

Stress is running high with the Petersen women.....Sorry you had such a crazy week.