Thursday, April 23, 2009

Did I ever tell you how lucky I am?

I hope that when the final judgement comes my way, the Lord takes me aside and lets me know that I can only be judged by my children. I know if He uses them as a measurement of my success on Earth, I will be able to join them in heaven!

Every now and again, we give our neighbor girl a ride to school in the morning. She is very involved in school (like Willie) and she is a great student (like Willie). Well, on this particular morning, she came out of her house laden with the "newborn baby" from the Teen Living class. She had the baby in a carrier, a diaper bag, her backpack, and all of her other school stuff. She managed to get into the car okay, but it took some doing. When we pulled up in front of the school, Willie got out of the car and started to walk his usual path to school when he turned to check on Shelena. He paused, waited to make sure she could handle everything, and then they walked together to school (no prompting from me).

Yesterday, Willie had a track meet at Kearns High. It was very relaxing to sit in the bleachers and watch all of the kids compete. I had my eye on the tall blond boy most of the time. He helped to time some of the races and organized the measuring of the shot-putters' throws. Once finished with his tasks and competition he asked for permission to go home with his family. As we walked to the parking lot, a group of young female track stars called out, "Bye Willie, see you tomorrow, . . . ." I couldn't resist the chance to talk to them --

Me -- "So is Willie a good boy?"

Them --- "Yes, he is and he his also really funny."

Another them --- "_______ wants to be his girlfriend."

Me --- "No girlfriends for him, I am his mom -- I don't approve of his friends with girlfriends, either."

Another them -- "But I'm nice."

Me --- "I'd have to give you a writing assessment or something to see if you measure up."

Same them -- "My handwriting sucks, but my grammar is great!"

I walked away smiling, giggling inside -- I love junior high students! At the track meet, Karl and I sat with Haley and James, Annie and Elliott (Ross was there in spirit). The support my kids have for each other is so amazing! I am so blessed -- and even somewhat lucky, and if I mind my manners, their greatness can only help me get to Heaven.

3 comments:

fivewoods said...

I agree your kids are awesome - obviously you've done something right!!!!!

Bing Math said...

Thanks mom, but why do you insist on posting that big butt picture of me.

mad dog said...

Was Willie around when you had the conversation with the females?