Monday, November 24, 2008

Who really cares about the kids?

I know of a high school that is in pretty sad shape. There are basically three major groups of kids in the school. About 1/3 of the students come every day, pass their classes with pretty good grades, and seem to be involved in school. Another 1/3 of the students speak a language other than English as their primary language, and they are at varying levels of learning and understanding English. Some of this group have limited skills in their primary language. The other 1/3 of the students are highly mobile -- that means they have attended more than one school in grades 9-12, and they have come to this school credit and skill deficient.

The school pretty much runs like it did 10 or more years ago -- white and middle class. Now, the school is definitely a school of color and mostly middle to low socioeconomic status. I worry about the kids -- that their needs are not being met. Sure the teachers teach the kids who are there, but their needs are not addressed individually, and I see many slipping through the cracks -- getting further behind, not attending, no ambition, no hopes and dreams for the future. Mind you, 1/3 of the kids are pretty much on track to graduate, but there is such a feeling on complacency and just so many things to do for the other 2/3 of the students. I don't know what to do -- I want to help -- I try to help -- I feel like I am trying to push and pull cement blocks around the school to get the staff to look at the data and respond to the needs of the kids -- especially their learning needs. It like the [the staff] don't see it or get it. Any suggestions?

It's really the first time I have been connected to a situation where I completely understand the metaphor -- there's an elephant in the room, but in this case it's in every part of the school.

1 comment:

Staples said...

Oh counselor, i wish i could give you suggestions, but those numbers kinda scare me and kinda make me sad. Teachers really don't see it do they. then i have seen them get down on the students for not understand and what not when maybe its their own fault. this is what i got out of your post.