Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What can I say, I love basketball!


So yesterday was the first day of Jimmy Ball -- U of U basketball camp. This is Willie's 4th and probably last year as a day camper (next year, he will be at a "team" camp somewhere). Jim Boylen, U of U basketball coach, is quite a character and a pretty good teacher. His routine with the kids includes a word of the day ( like enthusiasm or attitude) and usually a phrase of the day (like listen to learn and learn to listen). Willie, however, has decided on his own words of the day -- yesterday was dominate and today is annihilate. You see, the older the age group the fewer number of b-ball campers, and Willie really does have some sweet basketball skills, and I think he can see the difference in his skills when he gets away from all of the kids he usually plays with. He is well on his way to a championship somewhere, sometime, in the not too distant future. He is goal oriented and competitive -- actually, he just about had his first championship last school year with junior high basketball -- but, it was not to be.

As I have mentioned many times, Willie is a good boy and his dad and I are very proud of him! I am happy he loves the basketball because I do, too. I love to watch him play -- using his sweet skills and making some pretty good shots. Yesterday morning during shoot around on the Huntsman Center court, he was making shots like crazy -- even the long shots. What can I say, I love basketball!

No comments: