Thursday, April 07, 2011

Steve and DeWayne

I flew to Chicago yesterday afternoon to attend a few meetings on transforming school counseling and strengthening equitable access for all students in advanced and AP courses. I sat on row 8 seat F (a window seat) on a big Airbus plane. Next to me were two old guys, Steve and DeWayne. They had flown through Salt Lake City from Spokane to make connections to Chicago. They were headed to a town 20 miles east of Chicago to pick up Steve's newly purchased motor home. After picking up the motor home today, they planned to drive home to Spokane via I-90. The reason I know they were older than me -- grayer hair, more pound of excess weight, slower physical movements, and more. Steve mentioned he was retired Air Force and had served as a "tail gunner" during the Vietnam War. He dropped out of high school to join the Air Force and did eventually take the GED and get a college degree. DeWayne served in the Navy during the Korean War and told me the only way he got through high school and into college was because of sports. He was a three spot guy. Why do I know all of this? I have this weird thing about my persona that invites people to tell me all their life events once I tell them I am an educator, a school counselor, and . . . I also learned that Steve's wife is a real bossy, strong personality and she was recently diagnosed with a rare strain of pancreatic cancer. He and his wife have been to the Mayo Clinic for consultation and treatment. While there, Steve had gall stones and couldn't find a doctor anywhere to diagnose him. It was until he returned home to his family doc that it was determined that he had gall stones and needed surgery. DeWayne explained that he and Steve are across the street neighbors. He had a teenage grandson who lives in California and pretty much didn't give his grandpa the time of day until they went on a hunting trip to Montana. Now they are best friends and get along great. DeWayne though Steve's wife look good (considering Chemo treatments) when they left Spokane that morning. I love the generations older then mine. They are polite, considerate, and very thoughtful. DeWayne helped me with my carry-on, remembered where it was to help get it to me when we landed in Chicago. He made sure I got off the plane okay, and told me to know that he valued my work in education. He said, "When you are my age and you look back, you will know that you accomplished something! Remember that!" So, there you have it, another day in my life -- people, that's what my work and my life are all about.

1 comment:

Bing Math said...

Good job, mom. I'm sure you enjoyed their company. What were they going to do with the motor home?