Thursday, August 15, 2013

Summer Stuff

A few weeks ago I ended up going to a training seminar in San Diego (of all places). The meetings were held in a variety of hotels in the Hotel Circle area which meant I would be about 8 minutes from the ocean -- a beach.

A lot of kids who grew up in the 60's like me developed an affinity for everything beach likely due to the Beach Boys and Beach movies (Beach Party, Beach Blanket Bingo, Blue Hawaii, Muscle Beach Party, Girls on the Beach, Bikini Beach, and How to Stuff a Wild Bikini). We saw the movies over and over again and imagined that we were there.  We laid out in the sun everyday during summer (in the back yard). We rode our bikes to Silver Sands Beach (Great Salt Lake) and stayed until we were burned to a crisp.  We knew all the crazy dance moves from the beach movies.  We dreamed of living on the beach.  We believed everything we were told about the Beach Boys; even that the kids who lived next door to Grandpa Eccles knew them personally because they were from California.
Fast forward a few decades and I still have an affinity for the beach!  Every time I get to So Cal . . . the geographical region of Southern California, a trademark, home to killer surf . . . I must head to the beach!  I love the sound of the waves, the surf (and surfer people), and the sunset.






No comments: