Thursday, April 03, 2008

Tabernacle

Wednesday night I ventured downtown to the Tabernacle on Temple Square with the stake RS ladies for the annual auxiliary orientation for presidencies (connected to General Conference). It was my first time in the Tabernacle since its renovation and re-dedication. It looked and smelled crisp and clean, the benches are wider in the seat and spaced to add more leg-room. As I sat through the orientation (which was absolutely excellent), I couldn't help but remember some of the times I "sat" through something there.

  • Dad took Jackie and me to a Sunday afternoon session of General Conference when we were around 8 and 10 years old.
  • Concert choir participation as a junior and senior in high school meant a performance in the Tabernacle on Veteran's Day and for the "Lights On Festival" the Friday after Thanksgiving.

  • I attended a Veteran's Day concert there for extra credit for some class at the "U" -- Dad went with me. We sat on the front row of the back section and President Kimball walked right past us to his seat. I remember thinking how tiny he was.

  • Music 101 at the "U" meant attending Utah Symphony concerts at the Tabernacle -- an entire season.

  • I remember seeing a performance of the Messiah there.

  • When Utah reached the 100th year of statehood, January 4, 1996, nephew Peter sang in a special choir that performed as part of celebration. I wiggled my way into the balcony of the Tabernacle and enjoyed a pretty memorable celebration.

  • One of my former visiting teaching ladies (Lynn Beach), who works for the Utah Opera Company, gave us some special passes for a Mormon Battalion celebration a few years back -- held at the Tabernacle.

  • Niece Hannah is a member of the International Children's Choir, and we attended their Christmas concert at the Tabernacle two years ago.

The Tabernacle is an awesome structure -- I remember seeing an old photo of its roof with a huge arrow and the words AIRPORT painted on it. I guess the message let planes know they were close.











1 comment:

Bing Math said...

Here's the URL for the airport photo:

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/USHS_Class&CISOPTR=5146&CISOBOX=1&REC=17