Saturday, December 08, 2007

Keeping up on the BLOG . . .

I drug Willie and Karl downtown with me last night. We went to the Training Table for a burger and chicken fingers and then drove by Temple Square to see the lights. It was just starting to snow and it was such a beautiful sight. There's nothing like driving in downtown Salt Lake during the Christmas Season and seeing the lights and decorations through snowflakes. There is just such a quiet hush that accompanies a snowstorm.

My Grandma Huber (Ethel) told me that when she was young she loved to see the downtown Christmas lights and decorations in the snow, too. I remember her telling me that Christmas music was piped out on the streets (Main and State) that made the adventure even more exciting.

When I was a little girl, both Main and State Streets were decked in lights that hung across each street from one side to the other, from North Temple to 4th South. At each intersection, long strands of lights were strung upward to a center point, higher than all the others along the street, to form a triangle or pyramid of lights with a star securred at the tip top. Each intersection was different and Main Street and State Street were unique as well. Both sets of my grandparents lived in Slat Lake and after each December Sunday evening visit, Dad would treat us to a look at the lights on our way home to Magna. My sisters and I would banter back and forth about our favorite colors of lights and which intersections were the prettiest. (This was long before any lights on Temple Square.)

1 comment:

Staples said...

counsler (spelling...sorry if that wrong) i am freezing! well, ya