Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Snow Day?


It's snowing pretty fiercely and the roads are getting icy. Will that mean a "snow day" tomorrow? It's something all kids (and teachers) in Utah dream of --


Happy Snow Day
by Judy Domeny Bowen (a teacher)

It is snowing white and heavy
And my heart is gay and light
And I know I will sleep soundly
For a snow day is in sight.
Snow is piled upon the bushes,
It is layered in the trees,
And Ted, the weather caster, said
It might drift to our knees.

Happy snow day! Pop the popcorn,
Gonna watch late night TV.
And I just might bake some cookies,
For tomorrow I will sleep.
Yes, tomorrow I'll grade papers,
You never know might clean the house
Happy snow day! Happy snow day!
Gonna sing and dance and shout!

Two A.M. the movie's over,
Guess I'd better go turn in.
It was so fun to watch a mystery
'Stead of grading late again.
Take a look outside the window,
Yeah, the snow's still coming down.
Not so heavy, not to worry,
Nicely covering the ground.

Happy snow day! Oh the leisure
And the simple peace of mind,
Knowing that tomorrow morning
I will face a day that's mine.
It's a gift so unexpected,
A vacation that's unplanned.
Happy snow day! Happy snow day!
There is joy throughout the land!

What! It's seven in the morning!
Where is that awaited call?
Spring out of my sleep-warm bed
And to the radio I crawl.
Turn it on and listen closely,
Oh the wait's so very cruel!
Then they list off every town around,
'Cept mine -- we're having school!

NOT a snow day! I'm in trouble!
I have 30 minutes now
Till my students fill the classroom!
I run panicked though the house.
There is no time for a shower,
Throw on wrinkled shirt and jeans,
Frantic race out to the Chevy,
Hair and face not even clean!

NOT a snow day! NOT a snow day!
What a way to start the morn!
Let us hope that come this evening
Blows a blizzard of a storm!

No comments: