Thursday, April 02, 2009

April

April is the month when educators crank up the retirement discussion. "How many years do you have?" "I am retiring in 2 more years!" "Retirement can't come soon enough for me."

I have been working in a JOB off and on since the summer between 6th and 7th grade. I think I will keep working a JOB forever. Work is something I love -- sometimes I can't get enough of it. It's just my life --

I WORK at the district office for some sweet moolah $$$$.

I serve my family with the rewards $$$$ of my work.

I never stop doing, thinking, reading, learning, listening, . . . I guess these actions are considered work.

For the record -- I just hope I can keep up the pace for many years to come. I began teaching school in the spring of 1977 at Mount Jordan Middle School. I was hired as a long-term sub for Frances Mickelson (a veteran, amazing teacher at the time). I was honored to take over her classes for the last term of the school year. The principal at the school didn't have an opening at Mount Jordan for the following school year, but he found me a place at Eastmont Middle School -- just up the hill. I taught there until Haley was born in 1980. I then resigned my position and decided to be a SAHM. That lasted about 3 months when I started teaching in the Granite District night school (adult education program). At one point, I was teaching classes at Jackling Elementary, Granger High, and Kearns High. Karl and I would pass each other in the driveway four evenings a week. I did the night school thing for about six years during which time I started a master's degree program at the "U" in educational psychology. I took graduate courses one night a week for nearly four years. At that same time, I was the Primary president, taught preschool in my home, and continued teaching/counseling in the night school program.

Now it's April 2009. Another master's degree and years later -- my best calculation is that I have been an educator for 32 years. I'll be 86 in 32 more years. If I stay healthy and if Alzheimer's skips my generation, I'm good to go. Bah hum bug to the retirement discussion!

1 comment:

Bing Math said...

Yes ma'am! Way to go avoiding the toxicity of your job. Thanks for always working so hard and teaching us how to work hard, also.