Friday, October 30, 2009

Whatever you say, Napoleon . . .


I have been visiting schools all month. I call it our "Fall Road Trip". The purpose is to get out and visit with the counselors, review their goals for the school year, and address concerns and questions. Aside from spending time with the counselors, I get a chance to talk to students either in the counseling center and/or the administration office. Yesterday was no different, however, my conversation with a couple of boys at one of the junior high schools was most interesting.

Me: So, why are you here on this chair outside the Principal's office?
Student 1: I wasn't doing anything, this kid was talking trash behind my back, and I told him to talk to me face to face with the trash not to say it behind my back.
Me: So, why are you here on this chair outside the Principal's office?
Student 1: I wasn't doing anything, but the kid who was talking trash about me got me in trouble.
Me: So why are you here? (Speaking to student #2 who made a loud "passing gas" noise making all of the students in the office break out in laughter and move seats away from him.)
Student 2: What? Someone took my wallet.
Me: Okay, let's talk about why you are here in school -- we can start by looking at the future -- what are your goals and plans, what do you want to be? (This is my standard question to students everywhere.)
Student 2 (the one who passed gas): I want to be a sex therapist.
Me: Okay, now get your mind out of the gutter and give me another answer.
Student 2: I want to help people with STSs.
Me: Okay, your mind is still in the gutter, let's try again --
Student 2: Okay, I want to play in the NBA and the NFL. (Mind you, this kid is about 5'3" and is wearing a pink shirt for breast cancer awareness day.)
Student 1: I know I am going to be in the NFL, I pretty much already have three scholarship offers to play in college.
Me: Oh, you do? What grade are you in?
Student 1: 9th grade (Now this student is a little taller -- maybe 5'7" or so and pretty slender.)
Me: Are you playing football now?
Student 1: No, but I have had some NFL scouts looking at me and my three friends when we play football at the park -- they said we are good enough to get scholarships -- I have three scholarship offers already.
Me: (No response, but I wanted to say "Whatever you say, Napoleon . . .")
Me: You kids have a nice day and be serious about school.

1 comment:

Bing Math said...

Oh dear.