Wednesday, April 14, 2010

No place like home!

After a long day at school, work, or wherever, there is nothing like coming home. Generally speaking, home is where you feel safe and comfortable. It's where you find the people you love the most. I think our home is all of these things and more.

I have been thinking about the homes where I've lived. When I was a baby, our family lived on 5th East and Kensington Avenue in a basement apartment. The apartment was located halfway between the Eccles' and the Hubers. When I was about a year old, my family moved to Magna where my parents still live. That was the home of my childhood, Grandma and Grandpa's place to Annie, Haley and Willie, and now where Elliott and Wyatt find Great Grandma and Great Grandpa.

When Karl and I were first married, we lived in Grandma Chipman's house (in old Magna). It was the nicest house, very tight and neat and clean -- with a garage, a patio, and an air conditioner. Annie was born while we lived there and since it was only a one-bedroom home, we created a place for Annie in the corner of the living room. We lived there for about three years.

We then bought a little house a little further east in Magna where the girls grew up and a place Willie can't remember. It was a tiny house, but we made it such a beautiful home. We named this home, and we still refer to her as "Mildred" even today. We lived there 20 years.

It's now been nearly 11 years since we moved to Hunter -- and this is really the nicest home in so many ways -- I love it! And, when I come home at the end of a very long day, there is nothing like the feeling I have when we have dinner, watch a little television, do some homework, talk, have a late evening treat, snack, or tall glass of cold milk, and then watch "The Office" before going to bed. It's the best, and I really must say, "There's no place, anywhere, like home!"

2 comments:

Annie said...

I miss mildred - but I really don't remember living there anymore either.

I like the house now - didn't we once think to call it hank? I like that it's the place my boys can explore and do their own thing....

just like I can still do at grandma's house.

Bing Math said...

I like your house, mom. I liked Mildred, too. She had a very comfortable spot on the floor by the kitchen doorway.