Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Observations at USU

So, I am currently sitting in the Taggart Student Center on the campus of Utah State University. Willie is here doing what he loves most, playing basketball (USU b-ball camp). This, however, is a different sort of camp where most of the participants are pretty good high school players who want to get better at their position -- post, perimeter, guard. I am spending my time wandering around the campus and making a pretty good attempt at getting some computer work done. Summer is a big part of the school year for me -- a time to get ready for a new year -- professional learning themes and activities, full-year calendar, materials and resources to support kids, and so on. I do a lot of writing, and thinking, and reading, and analyzing, and then pulling things together.

I have a table set up as my work station on the far east end of the second floor of the Taggart Student Center. Wow! There is a lot going on this week on campus -- high school cheer camp, high school leadership camp (student body officers), EFY camp (Especially for Youth), a conference for some kind of college administrators, and of course basketball camp.

I am listening to a group of high school leaders discuss "Snowball". I am not sure what it is, but it involves dancing and the group can't decide if it should be girl's choice or not. Oops, now the subject changed to what the group is going to do on the leadership camp variety show later this evening.

I love the opportunity to break away form the office, spend some time with my son, and do a little of uninterrupted work, too.

By the way, the Taggart Center is names for a former president of USU, Glen L Taggart. He was a pretty amazing individual. Click on his name and read an article written about him in the Ensign Magazine some 20 years ago. Glen Taggart is from Lewiston, Ut, born around the same time as my step-grandmother Frances. I am sure they knew each other -- Frances, a USU grad, was always very high on what the institution had to offer. There are many Eccles buildings on campus. Needless to say, the Eccles family has left their "money" mark on nearly every public college campus in the state.

Enough for now!

No comments: