Wednesday, January 23, 2013

There's something different about January . . .

There is just something different about January . . . .
  • It's a very cold month!
  • Women I know who have passed away in January -- Mom, Judy Whitaker, Sue Burkett, Great Aunt Norm, Great Aunt Helen, Phyllis, Yvonne, Maren Eccles (saw her obituary last week - don't really know her but she's a descendant of David Eccles).
  • It's the first month of the year.
  • It marks the halfway point for public school.
  • We attend more basketball games than church meetings.
  • Only a few family birthdays in January -
  • On January 25th it seems like Christmas was months ago . . .
  • Scouts always think they should go camping in January.
  • There is always "inversion" (it scares me).
  • I fall in the snow or slip on the ice (like I did yesterday).
  • People set goals and make resolutions to do things and go places.
  • Some people start thinking about Disneyland.
  • Everyone tries to pay off Christmas bills.
  • I feel extra fat from all the chocolate and goodies I ate during the holidays.
What makes this January different?
  • It's colder than any other January.
  • It's been two years since I lost my mom and my best counseling friend.
  • Willie is now a senior and having me help him with a lot of after high school stuff.
  • I helped plan my first ever "Feelin' Squatchy" high school assembly.
  • I sell basketball t-shirts at every home game at HHS.
  • Elliott is now 6!
  • I have new favorite shows like Duck Dynasty, Finding Bigfoot, and Pawn Stars (you can tell I watch TV with a teenager).
  • Willie is the third leading scorer on the HHS basketball team.
  • Next January, Willie could be going on a mission.
  • I have 2 more grandchildren than I had last January.
  • Willie has "girl" friends who come to our house and bring him things.
  • Karl finally has church callings with things to "do" not just take roll.
  • The Huber family numbers 58 with another new great-grandchild coming in February.
  • I have received more blessings this January than last.

No comments: