Saturday, February 02, 2008

A few thoughts . . .

President Hinckley -- his impact will last forever . . .
It seems that everyone is posting something on their blogs about President Hinckley. I have enjoyed reading the postings.

The funeral service today was very powerful and tender. I was very impressed that all five Hinckley children participated -- youngest daughter, Jane, offered the family prayer; son, Clark offered the opening prayer; middle daughter, Virginia, was the first speaker; oldest daughter, Kathy, offered the closing prayer; and, oldest son, Richard, dedicated the grave. In the first few rows of the conference center were those five children and their spouses, twenty-five grandchildren and their spouses, and sixty-two great-grandchildren. I never met President Hinckley, but I have met his daughter,Virginia, and his son, Richard. They are good people. The Hinckley family is a strong family -- the plan of salvation in action.

I enjoyed Elder Packer's comments as he referenced President Hinckley's October 2004 conference talk -- "The Women in Our Lives". This talk came six months after Sister Hinckley passed away. It was a nice tribute to Sister Hinckley and his daughters. The quote Elder Packer used was one I clearly remember.

As a father, do I love my daughters less than I love my sons? No. If I am guilty of any imbalance, it is in favor of my girls. I have said that when a man gets old he had better have daughters about him. They are so kind and good and thoughtful. I think I can say that my sons are able and wise. My daughters are clever and kind. And "my cup runneth over" (Psalm 23:5) because of this.

Women are such a necessary part of the plan of happiness which our Heavenly Father has outlined for us. That plan cannot operate without them.


I hope I can be the kind of daughter (and mother and wife) to which President Hinckley so clearly referred in so many of his talks and writings.

No comments: