Sunday, May 24, 2009

A week in review . . .

Last Sunday, May 17, I hit the wall with a case of the flu. I had a new grandson home only 2 days, a daughter needing my help, a boy in the middle of a basketball tournament, a nephew coming home from a mission, a house to keep up on, parents to help, a play to see, and yes, work to do. Needless to say, I did what I could, but my daughter and new grandson were sorely neglected.

On Tuesday, to add to the stress of being sick, Elliott had a croup attack and a slow to heal ear infection. Rats! As I read up on the kind of flu (para influenza) I had, the literature pointed to croup and respiratory problems in younger children. The guilt I felt in knowing that I probably contributed to Elliott's symptoms was awful.

Now a week later, I have finally been able to help Annie out a little by taking Elliott and spending some time with him. He is trying very hard to be a good big brother. From the picture on this blog post taken at the hospital, you can see a pretty forlorn look on his face. I can only wonder what he really thinking -- I know he doesn't have the words to explain a pretty overwhelming and new experience. We have had some great discussions and I think things are going to work out okay for him, but it may take some time. He has been the center of the universe for so many who love him so much for over two years. As Willie would say, Elliott is not the main event, he's the warm up band.

A week later, I am feeling better, but a fog horn cough is too persistent to leave just yet.

1 comment:

Annie said...

It's okay mom, we survived the week...

now we just need your help to survive the rest of our lives. ;)