Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Mr. Lincoln Exudes Inspiration

I am in Washington, DC, for a couple of days with my assistant superintendent attending a meeting hosted by the College Board.

I love this city! The drive from Reagan National Airport into the city on Monday evening was compelling! The taxi entered the city from Arlington Bridge which connects Arlington Cemetery to Lincoln Memorial. Washington Monument was in full view as was the Capitol. We headed NE to DuPont Circle to the DuPont Hotel (accommodations and meeting site). The Kennedy Center and the Watergate Hotel were well lit in the evening cityscape.

The meeting today was excellent! It was all about making a more intentional commitment [school districts] to improve college and career readiness strategies and instruction for students. After the meeting ended, the 20 or so counselor leaders and superintendents of some of the largest school districts in the country were treated to dinner.

I have been to enough out of town meetings to know that hanging out in a hotel room after a day of meetings is not all that fun, so after dinner at a restaurant on Connecticut Ave., another attendee and I headed on a brisk walk to experience the monuments at night. We headed south on Connecticut Ave., past the Coccoron Museum and the Red Cross headquarters to the WWII Memorial, then we walked along Lincoln's reflecting pool to see Mr. Lincoln himself. We headed back to the hotel via the GWU campus. It was a great night -- I wish you all could have been with me! I love this city and all that it is about --the politics, the history, the museums, the people, the buzz and commotion and more. I am so thankful for all of the opportunities I have! Never did I imagine that I would ever have so many amazing opportunities come my way. And have a family that supports me in every way possible.

No comments: