Thursday, July 24, 2008

Utah Daughter of a Pioneer

I am a great-great granddaughter of a Utah pioneer.

I was going through a box of old books and folders the other day and I found a copy of one of the many volumes of family history written by my grandfather, Stewart Bingham Eccles. In this particular journal Grandpa paid a very nice tribute to his mother Anna Rasmussen Eccles. Although Anna is not the pioneer that gives me "Daughters of the Utah Pioneer" status (those who arrived prior to 1869), she was a pioneer nonetheless.

I wanted to share the story on my blog, but it's not where I thought I left it. I can't find it anywhere. As far as I know, no one has been in the room where I read it. It's a mystery! So, the pioneer story of my great grandmother Anna will be reported later on.

This may sound a little out of place for a blog, but I am very thankful for the sacrifice my ancestors made as they immigrated from Scotland, Wales, England, Denmark, Switzerland, Ireland, . . . . to the United States and eventually Utah! Some came for the Mormon church and others came for work and opportunity. I so appreciate taking one day out of a busy, hectic, hot July month to commemorate and celebrate the first group of Mormon pioneers who arrived close to the Salt Lake Valley, July 24, 1847. The trek to Utah continues today some 161 years later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you find the story? - Haley