Monday, July 28, 2008

Pain is only weakness leaving your body --

Willie got braces on his teeth today. Needless to say he is in pain! He hasn't realized that pain is good -- it makes you tougher, it strengthens your tolerance, builds endurance and stamina, . . .

One of my colleagues told me to tell Willie that, " . . . pain is only weakness leaving your body". Of course, he rolled his eyes at me with that comment. Millions of kids and adults are dealing with braces pain as I write. It's not life threatening and the outcome is always good. So, I guess it's just something you overcome day by day.

I was quite impressed with the whole orthodontic process this morning. It was a very positive customer service experience.
  • We were greeted enthusiastically as we entered the waiting room

  • Willie was taken directly to the "lab" to have ex rays and molds done while I completed the paper work

  • The payment was set up electronically -- credit card and debit for the full 18 months

  • The patient room consisted of four chair stations and all patients were worked on within minutes of sitting in a chair -- each patient was attended to and help immediately and efficiently

  • The orthodontist and his assistants worked as a team -- in concert together and, yes, they made progress

  • The atmosphere was very open and professional

  • There was music other than FM 100 in the background

  • They really knew their routine -- they got down to business, on task, no time wasted

  • Willie got to choose up to three colors of ties to go on the bands (he chose red and blue)

  • He received some detailed instructions on braces care

  • He left with his private pouch of braces supplies and we were given an electronically printed reminder for our next visit

I couldn't help dream about a school system running with such positive customer service -- efficient, professional, individualized -- where students and parents are always important and attended to. I guess in my work I hear more reports of the opposite kind of customer service. Yet, I know this can happen some day in all of our schools!

No comments: