Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A special moment --

I have not kept up on my November postings in honor of nablopomo. I so apologize! I had good intentions . . . not to mention that I have had some amazing experiences this month -- things worth blogging about for sure. But maybe the most amazing was the 24 hour period of time I spent with my parents last week (Tuesday and Wednesday).

My brother-in-law's father (DeeEl Stapley) passed away November 12, due to a short but valiant battle with a very progressive leukemia. I knew DeeEl not only as a close family friend but also as a fellow educator as he was the superintendent of Iron County School District for many years at which time I worked at the State Office of Education. Our paths crossed at family events and at educational meetings and conferences.

The funeral was to be held in Summit, UT, so I let my parents know that I was planning to go to the funeral and if they wanted to go, I would ride with them. They decided after much intense deliberation that they would make the journey and that I could go with them. They picked me up at 2:30 p.m. or so Tuesday afternoon. We took the truck so Dad could haul all Mom's needs (oxygen tanks, oxygen machine, wheel chair, etc.). (We had with us at least a year supply of oxygen.) Dad drove the first leg of the trip and when he got drowsy, I took over -- but he really did do most of the driving.

We spent the night in Cedar City at a hotel on the south end of town. We got take-out at Applebee's and just chilled the evening away. My nieces stayed at the same hotel so we had some company later in the evening and for breakfast the next morning. The funeral service was very nice -- very calming and reassuring that death represents only a small separation time from loved ones. All of DeeEl's kids spoke and each in his/her own way payed tribute to their Dad. A special part of the service was "The Master Choir". This all-men's choir was DeeEl's choir -- I think he was the president of the choir comprised mostly of older gentlemen (60s-70s) with a few younger generation representatives (4 or 5). They sang and opening song and a closing song, and the closing song was most moving.

Mom, Dad, and I were seated (in that order) on the second row of the chapel near the east wall. The choir began singing the closing song, "I'll Be Seeing You," a song that became popular during World War II. It was beautiful to say the least, and I knew that Mom and Dad had probably heard it together at some time during their lives. I glanced at Mom and her eyes shed streams of sensitive tears. I glanced at Dad and knew that he felt her emotion -- he gently reached for Mom's hand and squeezed it ever so gently. I leaned back in my seat so they could have their privacy and hopefully without them knowing I knew what what transpiring. I, too, was very moved by the melody and the lyrics -- I couldn't help but contemplate what my parents might be thinking, knowing that their years together are limited and that they have a very strong love for each other. It was a very sensitive few moments and I am so thankful I caught a glimpse of it ---

We arrived home early Wednesday evening, and I know Mom and Dad were invigorated just knowing they went somewhere outside of Salt Lake County and lived to tell about it. It's got to be tough wanting so badly to keep a pace in line with your desires and thoughts and your physical body just can't do it --

2 comments:

Bing Math said...

I know I'm a little emotionally unstable, but this made me cry.

fivewoods said...

Thanks for being a such a great daughter and sister......