Monday, September 08, 2008

Ethel Meranda Huber, September 7, 1906

Annie, Melinda, Haley, Grandma
(on Grandma's front porch, 427 Kensington Ave., about 1985-86)

I intended to write this blog post yesterday (Grandma's birthday), but the day came to an end and another day began. Grandma Huber would be 102 if she were still alive. She was a good grandma. I spent a lot of time with her because when I was 12 years old, I was lucky enough to work at the family grocery store during the summer. Ten years later, I was still working at the store. Grandma worked every one of those ten years, and before them, and long after them. In fact, Grandma died at 84 years and she worked a full day at the store the day before she died.

Grandma was an excellent cook. I loved her roast beef dinner, especially her gravy. If I think long and hard I can still taste it. She always had cookies in the cookie jar and cold Cokes in the fridge. We were welcome anytime and to anything in the house. Grandma's house was a lunchtime stopping place when my sisters and I were going to the "U" -- there was always something there for lunch and sometimes a note from Grandma.

Grandma was born under pretty poor circumstances in Myton, Utah, her mother passed away when she was a little girl of 7. She was raised by not so nice relatives and an ornery step-mother, Nana. She and her brother, George, were very close -- but he died in his forties.

She was a very classy lady. Grandpa always made sure Grandma had the finest -- china, linens, clothes, furnishings, and more. Grandma always had "club" -- a group of lady friends who got together a couple of times a month to play cards. In the dining room buffet, top drawer on the left, were many decks of fancy cards -- all colors and patterns on the backs. Grandma's best friends were Helen Bird and Norma Riches. I came to know these ladies almost as well as I knew Grandma. Grandma's white hair was striking -- when asked what her real hair color was she always said she couldn't remember.

Grandma worked hard to support her sons in scouting (both Eagle Scouts), sports, church, school, and everything else. She was pretty guarded in her conversations - never really complained, never really disclosed much. I knew she loved me, my sisters, my brothers, and my girls. Willie came long after she was gone -- maybe he knew her in heaven.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Judy - I was thinking about Grandma too. In fact, I had just told Meranda that her house was my "lunch spot" and a place to catch up on the soap's! I even ate dinner with her when I had night classes. I remember Sunday visits and always leaving with a piece of "wonder bread" and would squish it and roll it in a ball and eat it on the way home. She was a "great" grandma!!!! Cindy

Bing Math said...

I miss all my great-grandparents.