Monday, September 22, 2008

Sometimes in the doing of we forget the reasons for --

The phrase used as the title of this blog post is one of my favorite. I am not sure where it came from, who said it, or in what context it was used. But it has inspired me more that once.

My professional work is all about helping adults to do better things for kids. By better things I mean -- better communicating and listening, better mentoring, better planning, better at making connections with kids, better at helping kids navigate a school system, better at helping kids find out where their interests lie, better at caring about kids, better at helping kids visualize a future, better and recognizing their (adults) ability to help kids, and so on. Sometimes adults make their work with kids more complicated than it needs to be. Adults create forms and checklists; they make schedules and charts; they have procedures and processes; and so on. They really do think these things help kids. Guess what -- most of the time, they are only obstacles to create a distance between the adults and the kids. Yes, there is a need for order and procedure, but I also know that if the adults in our schools would set their forms and procedures aside and do a little better job at making kids feel like they are important and valued, the results would be astronomical.

I spent time with a bunch of very diverse and complicated kids today. At first they were apprehensive about my intentions -- their faces said it all. But, by the end of each of three class periods, some smiled, some thanked me, and they all went on their way. I wished each one a great day and shook their hands or gave my hand to them in a high five. I didn't accomplish much more than that.

Life is tough enough. Our students are getting further and further behind in what adults are thinking they can or should do. Much of what happens in their lives inside and outside of school can put a damper on their energy and motivation to succeed. I hope every day that the adults in our schools will focus more on the reasons for their work (the kids) and less on the doing of (everything but focusing on the kids) -- it makes a huge difference.

Well, for what it's worth ------

1 comment:

Bing Math said...

Thanks, mom. I try! Good luck your service-work adventures with the Lancers.